These two pictures were taken on a recent vacation..below is a little history on the Point Iroquois Light...
Whitefish Bay, Michigan
46°29.021′N 84°37.541′W / 46.483683, -84.625683
Year first lit:
White tower/Black parapet & Lantern
Tower - 65 feet (20 m)
Focal plane - 72 feet (22 m)
Fourth Order Fresnel lens
15 miles (24 km)
flash every 30 seconds
Point Iroquois Light is a lighthouse on a bluff in the U.S. state of Michigan above Whitefish Bay that marks entrance to the St. Marys River, the connection between Lake Superior and other Great Lakes.
Point Iroquois includes a larger geographic area than the lightstation site. It was named for the Iroquois warriors massacred there by the Ojibwe in 1662. Native Algonkians called the point "Nadouenigoning," composed of the words "Nadone" (Iroquois) and "Akron" (bone).
In 1855 a wood and rubble stone lighthouse was built and commenced operations on Jun 18, 1856. It was a 45 foot tall rubble stone tower with a wooden lantern deck, outfitted with a flashing white Fourth Order Fresnel lens. Being built on the Point's highest ground, it had a 63-foot focal plane, and a range of visibility of 10 nautical miles. It was then torn down in 1870.
Following the Civil War, the United States Lighthouse Board went into a lighthouse (and life saving station) building boom on the Great Lakes.
In 1870, the first lighthouse was torn down; the present Cape Cod style white brick lighthouse was built and ran continuously for 93 years, guiding ships in and out of the Soo Locks. It has a 65 foot tower height, and a focal plane that is variously reported as 68 feet or 72 feet.
In 1885, a bell tower was erected, which incorporated a Stevens automatic bell striking machine. In 1890, the bell tower was torn down,